Sanctuary of Divine Mercy in Kraków-Łagiewniki exists since the end of 19th century. In 1889-1891 architect Karol Zaremba built chapel of st. Joseph, cloister for Sisters of Divine Mercy and house for poor girls. The founder Aleksander Lubomirski some years earlier created sililar building for poor boys.
But the Sanctuary became famous due to st. Faustyna Kowalska. This young girl got vission of Jesus Christ. According to her description a picture was painted first by Eugeniusz Kazimirowski, second by Adolf Hyła. Today, the painting by Adolf Hyła is a place of worship, annualy over one million pilgrims visit the sanctuary to see the picture and relics of st. Faustyna Kowalska.
Real development of the monastery is observed since Karol Wojtyła become the pope as John Paul II. Karol Wojtyła worked in nearby factory during II World War. Here he got to know about sister Faustyna Kowalska and her diary. Because of massy pilgrimage next to 19-th century chapell a new church was built. This so called basilica is one of the biggest churches in Krakow. Over 5000 believers can attend service together. The new basilica was constructed by an architect Witold Cęckiewicz. The architect, next to huge temple build 76 meters tower with observation point. This is the highest viewpoint in Krakow.
Literature in English: