You are here: Main page> Monuments of Krakow > Main Market Square
  MAIN MARKET SQUARE



  The Square was established in 1257 together with location of Krakow. It has 200 meters long that makes it the biggest medieval square in Europe. Together with planning the square new buildings were erected. To already existing Virgin Mary Church and Saint Adalbert Church, there were constructed Tower Hall, Cloth Hall and several buildings build mainly on trade purpose but demolished in 19th century.
  Around the square 44 houses were build. Some of them are worth enclosing:

  • Czynciels' house
  • Rose's family house
  • Szara house
  • Montelupi's house
  • House 'Under the sign of the Lizard'
  • Bonerowska's house
  • House 'Under the sign of the Golden Carp'
  • House 'Under the sign of the Grey Carp'
  • Dembiński family house
  • Louis family house
  • Saint Anna's house
  • Pinocińska house
  • Berowska house
  • Hetmańska house
  • Amadejowska house
  • House 'Under the Painting'
  • Potocki family house
  • House 'Under the Evangelists
  • Tucowska house
  • Kromerowska house
  • House 'Under the the Canary'
  • House 'Under the Ravens'

  • House 'Under Saint John Kapistian' - the name reflect a statue of Saint John Kapistian standing in the edge of the house. According to historical records in this place of the Market Square John Kapistian used to say sermons persuading young boys to take the veil in the Franciscan convent.

  • Czeczotka House

  • Palace 'Under the Sign of the Rams' - name of the palace (sub agnis) follows from emblem of the house known already in 16th century. Today the portal is decorated with three heads of the zodiacal Rams. During the II World War the palace housed governal of the Krakow District of the General Goverment. In 1956 Piotr Skrzynecki established cabaret 'Cellar under the Rams' - one of the most popular and famous in communist Poland.

  • House 'Under the Lamb'
  • House 'Under the Thinplate'
  • Małachowskis' Palace
  • Former 'Bank Przemysłowy'
  • House 'Under the sign of Three Stars'
  • Ciemowiczowska house
  • Spiski Palace

  • House of Saint Christopher - the palace houses administration of the Historical Museum of the City of Krakow'. Name of the palace reflect a statue of Saint Christopher standing in the niche of the facade.

  • House 'Under the Sign of the Pear'
  • House 'Under the Sign of the Deer
  • Wosińska house
  • Kencowska house
  • House 'Under the sign of the Horse'
  • Januszewiczowska house
  • Feniks
  • Bonerowska house
  • Gehanowska house
  • Kirchmajerowska house
  • Kromerowska house
  • Red house
  • Margrabska house
  • House 'Under the Sign of the Negros'

GALLERY
MAIN MARKET SQUARE

LICENSED KRAKOW CITY GUIDES
os. Ogrodowe 18/23, 31-916 Kraków
tel. +48 885 616 358
ABOUT US
SIGHTS
PRICES
CONTACT
MAIN PAGE
MUSEUMS OF KRAKOW
EVENTS
KRAKOW SURROUNDINGS
TOUR TO POLAND
HOTELS IN KRAKOW
HISTORY OF KRAKOW
TOURIST DISTRICTS
OF KRAKOW
MONUMENTS
OF KRAKOW
LEGENDS
OF KRAKOW
PEOPLE