Vistula is the most important river of Poland, 1047 km long conncets historical towns like Oświęcim (Auschwitz), Kraków, Niepołomice, Sandomierz, Warsaw, Toruń, Gdańsk. For ages it performed functions of communication, transport, trade route. Due to the Vistula River Krakow had connection with the Baltic Sea and belonged to the Hanseatic League. That was the way Sigismunt III Vasa left Krakow for Warsaw changing the capital of Poland.
Nowadays the river has slight transport function, boats anchoring on the banks are mainly tourist atraction. One can take a 8 km ride up the river to Tyniec or take short distance trip.
In general, medieval Krakow is located on the left bank of the river. Here are Wawel Hill, Old Town and Jewish district, here are the most precious monuments like the Wawel Cathedral, Our Lady Church, Collegium Maius, seven synagogues and more than 20 monasteries. However, on the right bank one can find historical sights like Krakus Mound, former Jewish ghetto in district Podgórze and concentration camp in Płaszów, Sanctuary of Divine Mercy in Łagiewniki and Sanctuary os Saint John Paul II. Both banks of Vistula spine following bridges:
• Bridge 'Kościuszko' - it is the bridge closest to Tyniec. It has no tourist valors. Via the bridge goes the highway A4.
• Bridge 'Dębnicki' - the closest bridge to the Wawel Hill.
• Bridge 'Grunwaldzki' - The bridge connects the Old Town with western part of Krakow (Sanctuary of Divine Mercy in Łagiewniki, Zakrzówek)
• Bridge 'Józef Piłsudski' - the oldest brigde in Krakow, fixed in 1935. The bridge connects Christian Kazimierz and Podgórze. This is the shortest way from the Old Town/ Kazimierz to Podgórze and Sanctuary of Divine Mercy in Łagiewniki.
• Bridge 'Kładka Bernatka' - one of the most beautiful, build for pedestrians and bicycles only. The bridge connects Kazimierz with Podgórze.
• Bridge 'Powstańców Śląskich" - the bridge connects Kazimierz and Podgórze. This is the shortest way from Jewish Kazimierz and Schindler's Factory.
• Railway bridge I
• Dam -
• Railway bridge II
• Bridge 'Nowohucki' - the bridge connects districts Podgórze and Nowa Huta. It has no tourist valors
• Bridge 'Wanda' - the bridge connects districts Nowa Huta and Bieżanów. It has no tourist valors.