Kazimierz - medieval town located by the king Casimir the Great in 1335. The town erected according to Magdeburg law, has one central square 195x195 meters and streets leaving the square in right angle. In the nort-eastern corner of the square the Corpus Christi parish church was erected and in the center of the square the Town Hall. The new town was surrounded by the defensive wall 2850 meters long. One could enter the town through 4 gates: Krakow Gate (Clay Gate), Salt Gate, Skawina's Gate, Bochnia's Gate and Cows Gate.
There is slight information informing about the location. The king had to include already existing villages and churches. Therefore within the wall one could find following churches: Saint Lawrence, Saint Jacob, Saint Stanislaw (Skałka). Among these churches until now exist only Skałka.
Present Kazimierz is asociated more with Jewish than Christian culture. Around 1496 Saint Anna's Church burned and Jews living around that church acuted. The then king John Albrecht settled Jews in saver place it means in the town Kazimierz. The Jews by building inner wall divided Kazimierz into two abowe mentioned parts.
In 18th century one more church was erected and offered to the Trinidad monks. This is the last barroque church erected in Krakow. In 1800 (1802) Kazimierz became part of great Krakow. Today Kazimierz is one of the most visited places. Next to the Jewish culture and seven sinagogs there one can admire two ghotic and two barroque churches, etnographical museum and dozens beautiful houses.
Literature in English:
Duda Eugeniusz, Jewish Cracow. A guide to the Jewish historical buildings and monuments of Cracow, Krakow 2003