This is the only in Krakow synagogue belonging to progressive 'maskili' Jews. The synagogue was erected in 1860, already after the community could settle out of the Jewish part (Oppidum Judeorum).
The synagogue has many features different than orthodox one. First, the name - Tempel informs about progressive branch. According to orthodox Jews, the only Temple in the world is the one demolished by Romes in 70 A.D. and today only the Wailing Wall exists. Second, aaron ha-kodesh looks like altar, with several stairs and ambulatory. Third, there is main nave and two aisles. In the aisles, next to the balcony, women can pray.