This synagogue, like the second Kupa synagogue, was erected in the territory of enlarged Jewish part of Kazimierz in 17th century. Such enlarging evoked protests of neighboring Christians, and only protection of the king Wladislaw IV let the founder making his plan. The synagogue was erected in 1644.
During II World War the interior was demolished and liturgical objects stolen. Also post-war period was not good for the synagogue. Until 1969 the synagogue performed function of the seat of the Association of Art. The association did not invest the building, the synagogue turned into ruin.
In 1989 Jewish Community of Krakow recaptured the building. The polychromies became renovated, today it performs its function as a place of worship.