Józef Mehoffer (1869 Ropczyce - 1946 Wadowice) is one of the most notables Polish paintors. He studied in Krakow School of Art under Władysław Łuszczkiewicz and Jan Matejko.
He got worldwide fame when he won competition to mak series of stained glass windows to the Saint Nicolas Church in Friburg, Switzerland. In 1932 the artist bought a house in Krakow in Krupnicza street. In this house he spend last years of his life, in Krupnicza street. In 1963 his only son Zbigniew appropriated the house as biographical muzeum. The muzeum was opened in 1986.
Józef Mehoffer's works in Krakow:
• House 'Under the Globe' (Dom Pod Globusem),
• Polychromy of Family Szafraniec Chapel in the Wawel Cathedral,
• Way of the Cross in Franciscans' Church,
• Stained-glass in western window of the Mariacki Church (together with Stanisław Wyspiański),
• Stained-glass windows in nave and transept of the Wawel Cathedral,
• Stained-glass windows in Świętokrzyska Chapell in the Wawel Cathedral,
• Stained-glass window of Saint Simon of Lipnica in Saint Bernardine's church,
• Stained-glass window in Szpitalna street