In 1854 an organisation sharing artis was created as Society of Fine Arts Fellows. The society had to support yound artists and collect works of the artists. The organisation without its own house changed place several times - Larish Palace, Cloth Hall, Bishops' Palace.
In 1884 Joseph Friedlein gave proposition to offer part of Saint Steven Square for exhibiting works of young artists. In 1897 the Society sold some of the paintings by Artur Grottger to erect proper building. One year later a special commision organised competition to project the building - projesc by young architect Franciszek Mączyński was chosen. Soon a painting around building was to be made. This competition won Jacek Malczewski.
The building are decorated also by statues presenting: Jan Matejko, Stanisław Wyspiański, Henryk Rodakowski, Juliusz Kossak, Marceli Guyski and Feliks Księżarski. Near the building there is monument presenting Artur Grottger created by Wacław Krzyżanowski. The monument conmemoraze the artist whos paintings led to erect the building of the Society