Origins of the tower come from the year 1257 when the duque Boleslaw the Shy locates the square and net of streets leaving the square on the right angle. First city hall made of wood, located in southern part of the square burnt in 1306, soon the townspeople erected new city hall. The city hall is mentioned several times in medieval sources - in 1316 and 1383 when papal legate Dimitr gives special priviliges to those praying in the city town chapell. One of the most worthing remains after erection of the tower is 14 signs of workers who build the tower. The hall was enlarged during the reign of Sigismund the Old - the hall got prison, and during the governance of John III Sobieski.
Influencive on the hall was poverty of Krakow at the begining of 19th century. In 1817 the hall was demolished and only solitary tower survived. In 1967 the tower was renovated and given to the Historical Museum of Krakow. One can visit the tower from April to October. The exhibition inside is rather small but, however the main reason to climb the tower is magnificent view to the old town.