POOR CLARES MONASTERY
Saint Andrew church is one of the oldest temples in Krakow. It was erected in 1079-98 by the founds of Sieciech, governor of Płock’s duke Władysław Herman. One of the hypothesis relates erecting the temple with the birth of Zbigniew, hence its first patron - saint Gilles.
Later on, the church got position of the parish. In 1241, as the chronicle Jan Długosz, writes, the townspeople locked themselves, saving lives during the Tartars invasion. Until today we don’t know if the chronicle meant Okół (inhabited place on the north side of the Wawel Hill) or only the church, but the temple indeed was erected as defensive building, as it has the walls of 3 meters wide.
In 1316 the duke and future king Władysław the Elbow offers the temple to the Poore Clarisas Order. They meved from Skała distanced 20 km from Krakow. Poor Clarisas build a cloister behing the church. They leve there until now.
However, the solid of the church was not changed much during ages, the interior surprises. Inside there are baroque stuccos made by Balthazar Fontana and paintings by Karol Dankwart. Also equipment, with characteristic boat shape pulpit, is made by baroque style.
The polychromies present saints: Clara (first Clare, who together with saint Francisco created the Order of Saint Clare), Salome (first Polish Clare) and Kinga (wife of Bolesław the Chaste; they both introduced Franciscans Order to Krakow) . In the apse Coronation of Virgin Mary was painted and in the dome the Last Judgement.
• Polychromies and stuccos by Baltazar Fontana and Karol Dankwart
• Boat shape pulpit