Tradition connects the church with the duke Władysław Herman. According to the legend the duke could not get a child for many years. When finally two boys - Zbigniew and Bolesław were born the duke saw it as mirracle - the providence of saint Giles. Thanks to the saint Władysław Herman had to erect several churches, all of them of the patron saint Giles.
Archaeologists do not confirm this theory, the church is two hundreds years newer, some theories say that erected nearby - Saint Andrew Church could keep the advocation in 11-13th centuries. Today the church is run by Dominicans - the furniture comes also from the Dominican Church. Among the most precious are pieces of late renaissance grave of Saint Hiacint (burried in Dominikans Church). In 1614-17 chapell of Saint Hiacint was remodeled, the old pieces were transfered to Saint giles Church.
In front of the church there is small square dedicated to Adam Studziński. In 1990 a crucifix conmemorasing the crime in Katyń, Soviet Union, was establisched. The square is a place of various anniversaries and conmemorations or religiuos and secular provenience.