Ark of the Lord (Arka Pana) is the oldest modern church in Nowa Huta. Its erection causes lots of problems that evoked between architects willing to build atheist town and the needs of the inhabitants. In 1957 people put a cross in the place of todays temple and in 1960 excavators had to destroy the crucifix. A struggie started and finally the govermend gave positive decision about building new temple.
The church was built between 1967-77 according to the plan of the architect Wojciech Pietrzyk. The architect pattern Ark of the Lord on similar temple by famous le Corbusier. The temple has an ark shape hence its second popular name Ark of the Lord. Its walls is decorated by two millions cobble stones, according to urban legends brought by the people from the mountains rivers.
Its interior is quite ascetic. The crucifix of 8 meters high is the main accent. The sculpture has been made by Bronislaw Chromy. The tabernacle on the altar is also made by the artist. It contains a stone from the Moon brought by American cosmonauts and offered by the pope Pablo VI.
The church is three floor building. On the basement there are three chapels: 'Meeting', 'Reconciliation' and 'Resurrection'. At the entrance there are six sculptures by Antoni Rząsa from Zakopane reflecting the period of the II World War: Year 1939, Westerplatte, Polish Land, Requiem, Auschwitz, Dying Warsaw. Worth mentioning is a small statue of Virgin Mary. The statue was made out of bullets taken from bodies of Polish soldiers fighting in Monte Cassino, Italy during the II World War.